This are delicious with a cheesy and slightly spicy taste. Most of the ingredients are sourced from our friends at Redfire Farm.
You can easily make these at home and they taste amazing. You definitely can’t eat just one.
Shannon is really happy about this batch. :-)
Start with soaking these ingredients.
- 1 Cup Cashew Nuts (other nuts or seeds can be used like walnuts, pumpkin seed etc)
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 5 Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 4 Dates (pits removed)
- Approx. 1 1/2 Cups Water to Cover the Soaked Ingredients
- 3-4 Heads of Green Leafy Kale
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 Teaspoon of red hot pepper minced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Braggs Aminos (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Nutritional Yeast – Add Last! (can also use Parmesan cheese)
10 Easy Steps.
1. Place the Nuts, Seeds, Sun Dried Tomatoes & Dates into a medium sized bowl and place enough water to cover them (approx 1 1/2 cup). Let soak for approx. 1/2 hour.
2. While Nuts are soaking, Wash the Kale and strip the leaves off the Center stalk and set them aside.
3. Once Nuts are done soaking, dump the veggies & nuts (including the water) into the VitaMix, then Blend on High until smooth.
4. Add the remaining ingredients into the VitaMix (or a high powered blender) with the Nutritional Yeast last.
5. Blend everything until smooth like mustard. Use more water if needed.
6. Scoop approx. 1 Cup of Mixture into a large bowl
7. Add in a couple of handfuls of Kale Leaves to the bowl, and coat each piece of Kale generously with mixture.
Make sure to massage the dressing into the Kale like Aly is doing here. The greatest tool in the kitchen is your hands.
8. Transfer onto your lined Excalibur Dehydrator trays. (you can also use a oven at the lowest setting 1 to 2 hrs cooking time)
9. Dehydrate overnight at 115-125 degrees. Kale chips should be crispy and flakes if crushed.
10. Remove from trays and place in a zip lock bag. You can store in the fridge.
Here is a video of our Son Leo trying these chips for the first time. It doesn’t end so well. :-)
The chips can be really flakey and can get caught in the back of a tiny persons mouth as you’ll see. In the video after this you’ll see us all have a big laugh.